Section 13 (1)(b) of the National Liquor Act states that the Minister must inter alia take the following into account when he considers an application for or reviews an existing registration of a Distributor:
“The applicant’s proposed contribution to combating alcohol abuse, including whether the applicant has subscribed to any industry code of conduct approved by the Minister”.
The Industry Association for Responsible Alcohol Use (ARA) was formed by the manufacturers of alcoholic beverages about fifteen years ago to specifically address these issues.
After discussions with and presentations to a number of distributors / wholesalers / retailers the existing members of ARA have decided to suggest the following approach to individual distributors to become members of ARA and through this at the same time to comply with the abovementioned requirements of the Liquor Act:
- a separate Chamber for Associate Members of ARA will be formed through which distributors etc. can become members of the ARA
- the focus of activities of this Chamber will be at retail level
- the full amount of financial contributions of Associate Members will be used to fund these programmes (administration, infrastructure and existing activities of ARA will continue to be funded by the manufacturers)
- Associate Members are to suggest various programmes and ARA will implement and manage these programmes
- Annual fees will be payable based on the turnover bands as follows;
- Less than R5 million: R 1 000
- At least R5 million but less than R15 million R 5 000
- At least R15 million but less than R25 million R 15 000
- At least R25 million but less than R500 million R 25 000
- At least R500 million R 50 000
We are contacted by the DTI regularly with queries whether certain license applicants are members of ARA. Hence, we are obliged to keep an updated list of members and membership applications.
If you would like to become a member of The Industry Association for Responsible Alcohol Use, please fill in the form below or contact us and we will get back to you shortly.